TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Sigh, this horse has been dead for a long time.
People Seeking Info

Subject Sigh, this horse has been dead for a long time.

Posted by BlackholeZ on April 09, 2020 at 1:31 PM
  This message has been viewed 199 times.

In Reply To I agree. posted by platinumist on April 08, 2020 at 11:16 AM

Message T-bolt clamps are massively overkill for what we're doing. We used them in aviation applications for >100psi. Not the piddly dozens of psi that's used on the Z. They also make it way too easy for the... less talented... technician to completely destroy parts by over tighting.
Standard stamped worm gear clamps are crap too. As people mention, they cut into the hose that they're clamping, and can't really get very tight.
The solution is a proper worm gear clamp, like ABA clamps. The band is much stronger than the stamped steel ones, the edges are beveled so that they don't cut into the hose, and the worm gear rack is machined into the surface of the band instead of cut through. I've used them on high PSI diesel applications with no issues. They're also good enough for Formula 1. They're also not insanely expensive, and are nice and tidy in our busy engine bays.

I always laugh when I see people complaining about worm gear style clamps wearing out and having to be replaced. ANY clamp will wear out. T-bolt clamps the threads on the bolt get knocked over and the locking features on the nuts wear out. ABA clamps will eventually slip. I usually toss them after 10-20 cycles. They're not expensive, just order a box and have them on hand.

-Dan

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse."
"'she' also likes to swap since I think I am going to need to give her to woody again." - Dvlhntr
"full alphabetic boost mode" -
ChristopherTheOne

" Purrs like a sexually satisfied black panther." - BigTDogg
"Two oil eating, angry, spinning triangles of death." - turtleboy on rotary engines

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.